Media and Public Engagement Manager
Just Vision (www.justvision.org) is a nonprofit organization that informs local and international audiences about under-documented Palestinian and Israeli civilian efforts to end the occupation and resolve the conflict nonviolently. Through film, multimedia, education and strategic outreach, we support grassroots leaders who are fighting for freedom, dignity, security and peace through nonviolent means. We are based in Washington, DC, Jerusalem and NYC. We are nonpartisan and religiously unaffiliated.
The Media and Public Engagement Manager will join our team and be responsible for building a US and international outreach strategy to engage thought leaders, policymakers, think tanks, journalists and other high profile influencers to generate attention and support for Palestinian and Israeli grassroots nonviolence leaders, as well as visibility for Just Vision’s work, including our films, public education campaigns and multimedia projects. S/he will work with the Director of Communications to develop and execute a strategy and set goals for media coverage and build relationships with key journalists, editors and editorial boards. S/he will also serve as a media point person, by producing press materials, responding to media requests, acting as a spokesperson and proactively reaching out to media outlets. Additionally, s/he will work in coordination with senior staff to implement a community engagement strategy by organizing influential events, representing the organization at screenings and conferences, and building relationships with community leaders.
- Develop and execute media outreach strategies and campaigns.
- Generate press coverage of Just Vision’s work, including our films, public education campaigns, multimedia resources, as well as coverage of the civic leaders we profile, while keeping up with current events in the Israeli-Palestinian context in order to identify and pitch relevant stories to journalists on an ongoing basis.
- Draft press releases, letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts.
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with US and international press and continually seek out new opportunities for including nonviolence efforts to end the occupation and resolve the conflict in mainstream media discourse.
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for Just Vision, representing the organization in person at conferences, festivals, events and screenings, as well as in media appearances and interviews.
- Plan and coordinate Just Vision’s participation in major policy or media-oriented conferences, gatherings and events in the United States and internationally, as well as liaise regularly with counterparts at partner organizations regarding such opportunities. Ensure that reports and follow-up notes from these events are written and recorded in Just Vision’s databases.
- Occasionally work with Israeli and Palestinian staff members to support their efforts at organizing and attending relevant events in the Middle East.
- Manage, in coordination with the Development and Operations Assistant, the participation of Just Vision films in festivals and other screening opportunities, and correspond with festivals as necessary. Research potential venues and plan out and execute, in coordination with the Director of Communications and the Creative Director, a high-impact festival strategy.
- Work on a daily basis in with a diverse team that includes Palestinians, Israelis, Americans and others.
- Must be an ambitious, creative and strategic thinker who enjoys a challenge and is motivated by results. The position requires initiative, persistence and the ability to balance multiple priorities and responsibilities.
- 5-8 years of professional experience in media or communications.
- Charismatic, seasoned public speaker capable of interacting effectively and sensitively with a wide variety of audiences from diverse professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Proven track record in media outreach work, pitching to journalists and generating media placements.
- Superior writing skills; Experience drafting press releases, op-eds, backgrounders, fact sheets, blog posts, etc.
- Commitment to supporting nonviolent grassroots efforts to end the occupation and resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- A high level of familiarity with the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and with the contemporary political, cultural and media landscape in the region.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work virtually with team members based overseas.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and reliability.
- Proficient in engaging on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Problem-solving skills, ability to work independently and with a team.
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized with a track record of consistently meeting deadlines.
We are seeking a creative, strategic thinker who is willing to be a spokesperson for Just Vision, our work and our films. Master’s degree or comparable experience, preferred. Must be willing to travel internationally for events and team meetings several times each year and to travel extensively throughout the United States on a regular basis.
Just Vision is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, disability or on any other characteristic prohibited by law.
To apply, please submit a CV/resume, three 1-page writing samples, three references, links to public speaking or media appearances if any, and a cover letter to: email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that we prefer applications by email. Please do not make any inquiries about the position or the status of your application. Because of the volume of applicants we anticipate, we cannot respond individually to each application. We will contact those applicants that are of interest to the Search Committee directly.